Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sleeping and Mom's biggest fear


New moms are constantly checking their babies' breathing. I think they don't stop until their little ones go off to college, and maybe not even then. I've read that babies are at a higher rist of SIDS during the 2-4 month window, so I thought I'd keep Samantha in our room until four months since having the baby sleep in the parents' room at night is supposed to reduce the risk. Well, last night I laid her down in her own room just to see if she would go to sleep on her own (she usually needs me to rock her to sleep) and she did! So I turned on the video monitor and left her there all night. She slept better (maybe because the crib mattress is much more substatial than the cradle mat or maybe due to the soothing sights and sounds of the Fisher Price Rainforest Peek-A-Boo Leaves Musical Mobile), but I didn't! I must subconsciously listen for her when she's in our room, because I was awake every 1-2 hours checking the monitor! I like her being in her own room since she seems to be more comfortable and I'd love to get her to be able to go to sleep on her own. Maybe if we get a movement monitor I'll do better. Samantha's a big girl, but her mom is apparently a big ol' baby.

Here's a picture of Samantha in her big girl crib watching her mobile at one month. Her Nana made that beautiful blanket.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, the motion monitor has saved my sanity! Especially now that sometimes carly just really NEEDS to sleep on her belly because of the gas pains. I feel better with her sleeping in her crib than anywhere else cause i know the alarm is there if she stops breathing.

    ReplyDelete