Saturday, March 28, 2009

L&D

So I've been having the normal Braxton Hicks/prelabor things going on lately, but Thursday was kind of wild. I had "practice" contractions Wednesday night and into Thursday morning, and by Thursday afternoon they were coming fast with some slight, ignorable pain. What concerned me was that I thought that false labor contractions were not supposed to have a measurable pattern, and these definitely did. Perhaps it was the fact that I hadn't had much sleep for three nights or that I had been eating terribly unhealthy foods for a couple of days, but the light pain coupled with 5-minutes-apart contractions was enough to make me call the OB's office. They told me to go to labor and delivery, so my friend Amber took me since I was still at work. Now that's a true friend! By the time I got there and got in the bed and all hooked up to monitors, the contractions had slowed considerably and I only had 1 or 2 during the hour I was there. The nurse who checked me said "the baby is happy in there and we want to keep her in there for another couple of weeks." That sounded good to me, considering I hadn't graded the midterms or finished preparing for my sub yet and Andrew needs a good break. The whole event was slightly embarrassing, but apparently it happens all the time. I won't make that mistake again. It will probably be a different mistake next time. Pregnancy is more complicated than I could ever have imagined.

1 comment:

  1. The month before Cassidy was born, I was in triage nearly every other day because of my blood pressure. I hated leaving there without my baby. At least you know what to expect when it's time. Glad everything is ok!

    ReplyDelete